Monday 31 August 2015

I'm fully rooted

Fort Langley! Thank you so very much for such a sweet reception on Friday. What a turnout. Family, friends, artists and art lovers alike came, saw the body of work I've been doing for the past 6 months and celebrated with me. I'm grateful to be part of this place.

The Fort Gallery, being an artist co-operative, is a big commitment of time, volunteering and out of the box thinking. It is also a place to shine, explore oneself and be helped by one's peers, mostly on a philosophical level. What an honour to be so fully welcomed to a group of academically superior artists.  I always question my artistic direction, but to be plainly asked "Why this?" is question I was only able to answer after much self reflection. This time it wasn't a "What inspired you?", but rather, "Why are you doing this?", to me meaning everything - material, composition, motivation, contribution. I have to say, after commercial success, this is an entirely different experience. My thought matters, my skills matter, my sales don't. It's a real headstand. I love it.

I'd like to add a very special thank you to Angie Quaale and her Well Seasoned team for the sophisticated catered experience and Lynette Sayers with the amazing Kalala organic wines. Local bites and sips. Last but not least, Ashley Waite-Womack, your smooth, gorgeously full and elegant voice  is unforgettable. I hope we can do this again.

Next up? A fun, but very important, community-involved Thing. See you this Sunday.  

No comments:

Post a Comment