Monday 14 December 2015

#regram as the cool kids say



5 year old sketch. How interesting. Often, when I review older work, the first thing I think of is how it differs from my current skills. Of course, that's a good thing and by no means do I buy into that "I wish this wasn't around cause I'm so much better now" thing. 

No. As predictable as it may sound, I like where I was, where I continued from there and where I arrived. These days, my studio is a smiling, eclectic mess of numerous disciplines. I no longer feel tied down to things "I should" make or am wanted to make. How delicious to taste a new something and find out I want to put my brushes aside in favour of assemblage - for example. And that cage in the garage, peeling with 50s green and rust is screaming for my attention. I know who I want to put inside (not crow, not hummingbird, perhaps flower, perhaps not).

Still, beautiful is the space which opens to gratitude. For this little sweetie, a young crow I met in Victoria, I am thankful. He was playful, graceful, full of life and joy. Just maybe, during all this exploration, I will set aside space for a good old-fashioned charcoal sketch.








No comments:

Post a Comment